Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Joy ride

Yes. In a city whose narrow roads are almost choking with traffic, I find my bus rides a pleasure. Two hours. That's how long it takes me one way — home to work. So, on an average I spend four hours travelling.
Days when I get to sit the entire two hours and get the buses on my route on time, one after the other, it is clockwork. It is just blissful! Like today. It seemed a perfect day. Got the bus on time and then lucky me, even had the option to choose a seat. Just that brought in so much change in the way I looked at things today. It wasn't hot, in-your-face-bright anymore, but a pleasant, sunny day. Every time the driver honked it was music to my ears. Even when the conductor gave back just Rs 20 and announced he'd give the remaining Rs 50 later, I just smiled an okay!
See, what a world of difference a seat can make?
I got time to think — random things, stared at nothing and generally felt at peace with the world around me. The ten minute walk to work didn't sap me out either. On the way back, it was the same story. It made up for all those days when I hang by the rod near the entrance hoping and praying that I don't spill out ... yes spill out of the bus. Days like these dissuade me from getting my own vehicle on the road or for that matter renewing my learner's license.
I'll tell you five reasons you should hop, jump and climb that bus :
1. It is fun
2. It helps ease traffic
3. It heals the wallet
4. and the lungs
5. and keeps your BP in check!
It is a No-hassles ride*. You don't have to bother the traffic, or the faulty tripping meter and all this saves you with lots of energy and cash at your disposal. I think it is time the BMTC hires me as their PR! What say?

(* there are worse days when you are standing on one foot, those are the tiring times when you don't mind paying that damn one-and-a-half meter charge)

3 comments:

Dex said...

Hmm. But when I hopped into a bus that one time I was in Bangalore, I found five reasons why I shouldn't hop into anymore...

a. Hanging from a bus with half of you sticking out of the door is ... NO FUN.

b. Buses don't help ease traffic. The way they park themselves suddenly in the middle of every Bangalore road, blocking all the vehicles trailing them, they create more traffic problems than not.

c. Heals the wallet. Hmm. Maybe you got a point there. But Bangalore buses are the most expensive in South India.

d. Lungs? With my li'l smokey habit, I shouldn't be caring much about that...

e. BP in check?! HA!

Bimal said...

I dunno if mojo jojo got it absolutely right. The few weeks I have used BMTC buses, I loved it. It is the best-run public transport system in the country. The buses are in good condition. The conductors may not be great but they are not rude. Buses take a huge load off the roads. Nobody wants to increase their speed, which is at the best 20 km per hour.It is cheap. Less pollution and ofcourse tension-free ride.
I am all for better public transport systems.

Vaishalli said...

mojo jojo: You need to devote more time. Bus rides are like an habit you need to let it grow ;)
Bimal: Thanks! We need more people like you and me, who advocate the pluses of bus rides... I see an alternate career option there.