Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Paws that left a mark

White with patches of brown near the nose he showed traces of the naughty brat he'd turn out to be. He boarded the bus with his care-taker, a boy of nine or 10, followed by his mum who carried not just her hand bag, but also her son's tiffin carrier. Several seats were empty on the bus. Somehow, I sensed they'd sit next to me. Not all of them, just the mother. She nudged her way and sank into the seat. Comfortable.

Liquid eyes met mine and it was puppy love, literally. Let's call him fluff. He clung to the
boy's right shoulder, unsure yet seemingly safe, clutching the indigoed-white school
shirt. Tiny beady eyes that said lots without uttering a woof!

I sat like a stiff old woman not wanting to create a fuss over the cute little thing. So, yes, I felt funny not reacting. Acting snooty and doing very well, thank you. Others, meanwhile had a good look at fluff and the identical twins sitting diagonally opposite us even had a hushed conversation ohhh-ing and ahhh-ing mid sentence. The boy brimmed with pride, a kind of innocent pride, you only find in kids when they are proud of their new dress or pet. He was pet-proud and why not he had just adopted a white 'healthy' stray. Or his pet had finally decided to adopt him.

Fluff may have a new name by now, but that day he was just called 'doggy' by his owner-friend. I've never come across a well-behaved kid( pup). I mean, he just plonked himself between the school bag, handbag and the woman's arm.So, back to the liquid eyes meeting my framed ones. It was an interesting few seconds. The pup was so sure of himself, while his adopted family discussed his dietary requirements, we just looked at each other. He had this sureness that was way beyond his age. I liked his confidence or was it his adventurous streak that he decided to adopt a family? Which ever I thought he'd make a friendly, loyal companion. We instantly became friends, no not the usual kind that goes all out on PDA, we are old school, because while we just looked admiringly at one other we kept to ourselves. No leaning to pat him business for his part fluff didn't attempt to lick/sniff my brand new bag. Very civil. Very us. I approved of his
behaviour and by his manner, knew he did mine. In a strange way I felt connected to this being.
He was so like me. Kept his distance and no he didn't think I was a snob just because I refused to pat his forehead. In fact, he maintained the civility to the core. Minded himself and let his eyes do the talking.

Curiosity didn't get the better of him, for he maintained a safe distance. Someone may
have been disappointed if the dog behaved liked that with them, but I was pleasantly pleased. I'm no dog-hater, but I have issue with people who can pat a dog/cat and then sit down to eat with the same hands without caring to wash away the germs. Eww! Gross.

2 comments:

Bimal said...

I am sure you did not mean Jim, did you?

Dex said...

"...because while we just looked admiringly at one other we kept to ourselves."
HAH! You speaking for the pup, by any chance? I wonder how admiringly he would have looked at you after reading the last line of your post.
C'mon, Ms VC - give us guys a chance... nobody ever died of patting a dog! I, for one, wash my hands with lots of soap and then dry them on my dog before sitting down for dinner :P